Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fitting the Pieces Together


In week’s one discussion, I stated that my dominant learning style is visual; and sometimes I need to hear as well as feel. I also stated that the two theories that are best aligned with my views on learning are Behaviorism and Cognitivism. Since then, Howard Gardner taught me that each learner possesses several intelligences, some of which remain untapped, and because these intelligences were not discovered earlier, they lie dormant. Based on his Multiple Intelligences (MI) theory I learned that “all human beings possess at least eight forms of intelligence – linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, naturalist, interpersonal, and intra personal” (Gardner, 32). Then, I was introduced to Malcolm Knowles learning theory of Andragogy which focuses on the adult learner and how they learn.  Cercone (2008), in her article on Characteristics of Adult Learners with Implications for Online Learning Design, explained three other adult learning theories: self-directed learning, experiential learning and transformational learning which categorizes the adult learner. She said “adult learners are autonomous, independent, and self-reliant, and are self-directed toward goals” (Cercone, 132) which means that the adult learner accepts full responsibility for learning in spite of the many challenges they face as they juggle work, family, and the need to earn an income. The sharing of experiences, prior knowledge, and reflection serves as the foundation for learning (Cercone, 147).  According to Frey and Alman (2003) transformational learning is a process of critical reflection (Cercone, 149). The discussion boards and blogs allowed for social interaction as well as critical reflection within a cooperative learning setting.
Over the past weeks I learned that my own personal learning preference is for blended learning – an approach that blends traditional classroom-based learning with online learning. The need for face-to-face contact produced high levels of anxiety for me during this segment causing me great frustration. My view is that everyone in the online classroom is so focused on getting one’s work completed and turned in that it is difficult to recognize the screams for help which might be more obvious in the traditional classroom. I discovered that collaborative learning through the use of discussion boards, blogs, and research learning is more opinion-based, therefore, there seems to be no right or wrong answer. While learners are given the opportunity to challenge a response, most times responses are accepted and go unchallenged.
Technology plays a very important role in my learning, but, I feel intimidated and overwhelmed at the same time because of the intrusive nature of the technology. I would rather retain my privacy. On the other hand, I wish I had the time and the money to keep up with all the technology that is available. As a technology teacher, my goal is to find a way to incorporate the emerging technologies into my instruction, such as the use of the IPad. After exploring the Edutopia website, and viewed the success of project-based learning, the integration of technology, and the effect it had on the youngsters, I am excited to revisit my teaching strategies, but fear I will not have the administrative nor technological support due to budget cuts. Unless the school provides the technology to improve our learning or unblock sites that will expose students to the emerging technologies, it will be difficult for me to transfer any knowledge I have learned in this setting. Hopefully, my new found knowledge will open up the door.

References
Cercone, K. (2008). Characteristics of adult learners with implications for online learning design. AACE Journal, 16(2), 137-159
Gardner, Howard (2000). Can Technology Exploit Our Many Ways of Knowing? Retrieved from http://www.howardgardner.com/index.htmlard (2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment