Sunday, June 26, 2011

Reflection

My sphere of learning was indeed broadened as I studied the different theories which explained how people learn. But, one of the areas that captured my attention was the role that memory played in learning. The Cognitivist states that “Learning results when information is stored in memory in an organized, meaningful manner.” I was discretely reminded that “getting older” played a key role in my remembering. “Forgetting is the inability to retrieve information from memory because of interference, memory loss, or missing or inadequate cues needed to access information (Ertmer & Newby, 1993).  I learned a new word “Andragogy” – the art and science of helping adults learn (Pew, 17).
I learned about Connectivism, a word that I did not know was associated with learning theories. Siemens defines it as “a learning theory that integrates technology, social networks, and information.” (Ormrod, Laureate Education, Inc., n.d). Some examples associated with this theory are online courses, email, communities, conversations, web search, email lists, reading blogs.  Now I understand how this course is connected.
I was extremely surprised about multiple intelligences. I found out as human beings we have at least eight forms of intelligences – linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, naturalist, interpersonal, and intrapersonal (Gardner, 32). Therefore, it becomes important for educators to expose youngsters to other intelligences. “School has long privileged one or two forms of human intelligence—those involving language and logic—while ignoring the other powerful ways in which we can come to know the world” (Gardner, 32).
Keller’s motivational model also captured my attention. He stated the four steps to capturing student’s motivation are for instructional designers to design courses that capture learners Attention, to establish Relevance, also find a way to build their Confidence and make sure they are Satisfied by providing constant feedback and reinforcement to ensure learners stay motivated (Keller, 39)
When I first began this course, I presumed my dominant learning style was visual and it was necessary for me to touch and feel sometimes. But, I have since learned there are several other ways of knowing which I never considered as learning.  As human beings, we are the kinds of creatures who can learn in many ways: through exploration with our hands, the use of our several senses, the silent observations of other persons, conversation and argument, and the development of many different kinds of symbols—ranging from paintings or graphs to semaphore or dance notation” (Gardner, 32).
I have discovered that learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation are all inter twined. The instructional designer must understand how they work together in order to create meaningful instructional designs. The most important one for me of this subset is motivation – which is reminds me how important it is to design courses that will keep the learner interested. 
Whether I continue as a teacher in the traditional classroom or venture into a completely new area of education, my goal is to incorporate the strategies and theories I have learned to improve my standard of teaching as well as to create effective instructional designs.  I look forward to making a difference in the lives of those persons to whom I have been assigned. I also hope to devise ways to expose my learners to the numerous emerging technologies as I prepare them to take their place in this constantly changing technological society.


References
Ertmer, P.A., & Newby, T. J. (1993).  Behaviorism, Cognitivism, Constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50-71
Gardner, Howard (2000). Multi-Intelligences: Can Technology Exploit Our Many Ways of Knowing?  Retrieved from: http://www.howardgardner.com/index.html
Keller, J. M. (1999). Using the ARCS motivational process in computer-based instruction and distance education. New Directions for Teaching and Learning (78).
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (n.d.).  Connectivism. Baltimore, MD: Ormrod, J. Dr.
Pew, S. (2007). Andragogy and Pedagogy as foundational theory for student motivation in higher education.  InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching, 2, 14–25. 

No comments:

Post a Comment